Thursday, July 12, 2012

Spinach Tomato Shrimp with Cheese Grits

Wow. It’s been awhile. Let’s catch up. I can’t believe its mid July. Anyway! I have been reborn! In posting Paleo recipes again! How did that happen?! Why did that happen?! (You may (or may not) ask). Got a couple minutes? Let me answer your questions. I know you're anxiously waiting.

After a fun night of playing with my 1.5 year old nephew I woke up around 7:30 the next morning with intense pain in the left upper part of my body (shoulders, neck, arm). I was crying it hurt so damn bad. No, it wasn’t a heart attack- even though it felt like it could have been- even though I have no idea what that feels like. I went to ExpressCare. After seeing the doctor- I found out I had a pinched nerve in my neck. PAINFUL. I got some pain medicine and took it easy for a couple days. About a week after my nerve got pinched- I was in my car- on my way to lunch and had a bag of trail mix in my car (it’s a almond, berry & pistachio mix- nom nom nom). I was so hungry and didn’t want to wait 4 more minutes to get home and eat lunch… I tilted my head back to toss some mix in my mouth and POP! Seriously?? I didn’t snap my neck back- I didn’t force it back- I gently and slightly tilted my head back. Extreme pain- except now at the base of my neck. On to the Chiropractor I went.

The moral of my story is- KEEP YOURSELF HEALTHY. Eat healthy, exercise and STRETCH regularly. I was told by the doctor that people “my age” become more prone to this type of injury. Hell. I just turned 28! Zach and I do pretty well with eating right but I must admit- working out and stretching is something we need to work on. I don't want anyone to go through what I am now. So. Read up and eat up! Ha, that's stupidly catchy..

Now. To the recipe! You are probably like “Grits aren’t Paleo!” Technically, no. They are primal though. If you don't have a problem with corn (some do, some don't), it is still a nutritionally lame source of starch (see Marks Daily Apple- he’ll tell you corn is not a vegetable: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/corn-is-not-a-vegetable/#axzz20Pv11MXg 

However, if you love grits. Love is more important than being Paleo.  

If you are completely against grits- here is a link for cauliflower grits:

While we’re on the subject. Cheese is another nono- unless it is grass-fed. And even then it’s still frowned upon by some Paleo folks. I love cheese and don’t eat it as often as I want. Since we aren’t strict Paleo- we allow the occasional cheese intake. Looking for grass-fed (they will usually have “Grass-Fed” somewhere on the label) is the better option when you have that cheesy craving.   

We LOVED this meal. It was on the cheap, quick, easy, delicious and filling.

PREP: 10 -15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total: 25 - 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS

Shrimp
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 ounces baby fresh baby spinach
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 

Cheese Grits
2 cups water
1/2 cup Quick Grits
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese – try for grass-fed!
salt and pepper to taste 
DIRECTIONS 

Shrimp

Heat olive oil over a medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet

Add tomatoes and cook, stirring often until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes 

Add garlic and toss 

Add shrimp and cook until cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes 

Add spinach, basil, salt and pepper and stir until spinach has cooked down

Remove from heat and add lemon juice


You can't tell me this picture doesnt look delicious!


Grits

In a saucepan, bring water to a boil

Slowly stir grits into water, reduce heat to medium-low; cover

Let cook 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally

Add cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until cheese is melted













Enjoy!!

- All the best

Oh! One more thing. I’ve recently stumbled upon a couple amazing websites: www.multiplydelicious.com and www.paleomg.com. Check them out- they are fantastic. Really. See for yourself. This shrimp recipe is from www.multiplydelicious.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment